Who are we?
Monk Office, a family owned, Vancouver Island operated 72-year-old company, is seeking a new Store Manager to join our dynamic Retail Team. We truly recognize the value of our people. We reward you with a competitive compensation, recognition for your achievements, opportunities for ongoing training to grow professionally and personally, amazing Team Member perks and much, much more.
The Retail Store Leader is specifically accountable for maximizing sales to meet revenue expectations and to manage the store’s operations in a profitable manner to meet organizational fiscal goals. Building excellent customer relations and creating an amazing customer experience while fostering this culture to an engaged group of Team Members is essential to success.
Do you have the natural drive to lead a team and create excitement about sales? If so, Monk Office might just be what you are looking for!
What’s in store for you?
- Take time for yourself – no evening shifts and never work on a Sunday
- Excellent benefits package for part-time (20hrs+) and full-time Team Members! We’ve got you covered: Medications, Vision, Dental, Counselling (RCC or Psychology), Massage, physiotherapy, naturopath and more!
- Discount pricing on purchases at both Monk Office and Island Blue Art & Framing! From pens, to art supplies to furniture – love what you sell!
- Environmentally conscious and community focused business practices. Feel good about where you work! Our Eco Team works hard to reduce our resource consumption. We have diverted 99% of our waste away from landfills!
- Discounted bus passes. Spend less on your commute!
- We love to help good people grow! Here are some career development opportunities at Monk’s head office: Purchasing, Sales Representative, Furniture layout design, Marketing coordinator, Accounting & finance, Customer Support, Delivery/Warehouse
- $25 annual credit for back-to-school supplies for children of employees. Take some of the stress off every year and focus on the excitement!
- Company events and an active social committee. From picnics to themed group competitions, you’ll be in good company!
- Volunteer time-off during work hours. Do something good, on us!
- Cash Employee Referral Program. Get rewarded when you refer a successful candidate!
- Friendly & fun atmosphere with a team that respects our community & environment.
In this role, duties include but are not limited to:
- Leads KPI performance, leverages and drives gross profit to ensure maximum profitability
- Controls store expenses and communicates areas of concern
- Develops business plans that address opportunities and positively impacts the business
- Maintains operational standards in terms of housekeeping, reporting of store maintenance, completing site surveys to ensure a safe environment for Team Members and customers, and looks for ways to ensure continuous improvement of the store including cash counters, backrooms and office areas
- Maintains procedures for opening and closing of the retail store.
- Demonstrates operational discipline by ensuring transfer claims are complete, cycle counts are consistent, and adjustments are completed to ensure inventory accuracy. Communicates all min/max needs to the Procurement Team
- Executes all visual and merchandising standards by keeping the store well merchandised, abundant and reflects the appropriate marketing and signage; pride of place is evident.
- Maintains an excellent working relationship with the Director of Retail through communication and recommendations regarding opportunities/concerns arising from market research, Team Member and customer feedback and report analysis.
- Encourages loyalty through the Think Monk Savings program and promotes other Monk Office offerings and services beyond retail.
- Conducts daily meetings with Team Members to ensure open communication and to provide direction for the rest of the day.
- Acts as both an internal sales team member and a commercial team member given the location and needs from the community served.
- Requires the ability to build product (seating/desking) and the knowledge of how to use simple power tools.
- Ability to work very well independently.
- Ability to lift to 50lbs, as a commercial hub location – all commercial deliveries (except furniture) are cross docked at this location.
- High level of entrepreneurial spirit to build & view the store as one’s own, high level of community engagement is required to be successful in this role – i.e.: liase with chamber of commerce and other business building networks.
- Demonstrates Monk Office core values as a work-life guiding principle with customers and co-workers
- Achieves a high degree of product knowledge and conveys this knowledge to the Team
- Completes performance reviews in a timely manner and ensures that Team Members are the right fit
- Promotes growth of the Team by skill development, training and coaching and ensures the Team is engaged, energetic and morale is high
As a Monk Store Leader, you will:
- Create Amazing Customer Experiences through a genuine passion for customer service
- Have a Thirst to Learn continuously through new product knowledge, training and bringing your ideas for customer improvements
- Respect for the Team by acting with integrity and supporting meaningful customer and Team Member relationships
- Make a Difference – be proactive, responsive and flexible
- Love our Planet by participating and contributing to our eco business practices within Monk and our communities
- Initiate action to prevent problems and contributing to problem solutions
- Contribute to our environmental sustainability by being conscious of energy use, water consumption, paper use and recycling programs. If there are any environmental concerns, individual staff members must report these concerns to their Leader and, where applicable, address the concern at the time they see it happen
What you must bring:
- Post-Secondary education in business/marketing or equivalent on the job traning.
- Minimum 3 years of progressive management experience in retail or service environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey information in a concise and well organized manner
- Detail oriented with well developed organizational and time management skills
- Merchandising skills are a definite asset
- Ability to create a fun, enthusiastic and creative environment where ideas are generated to reach company goals
- Provides a caring and respectful environment where views can be expressed openly and honestly.
- Ability to make the right decisions in the face of adversity and deal with issues in a timely manner.
- Ability to demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit and views the business as their own.
- Flexibility to work all Store Operating hours
Thank you to all applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please submit your cover letter and resume through Indeed or to email@example.com.